As I sit here pondering and blogging from a coffee shop in Portland Maine, I couldn’t help but think of all the different ways to eat lobster up here. As you know, part of the travel experience is eating all the local food you can. Sometimes that can be hidden local gems or an iconic tourist trap. It’s all good. So to sum up, here is a list of lobster filled dishes I have tried in Maine (with a few notes on each).
- Lobster Roll with butter – the best way to eat lobster in my opinion. Eat @ Red’s.
- Lobster Roll with mayo – some folks think this is the best, but they are wrong. Charlotte’s Legendary Lobster Pound near Southwest Harbor ME does it well though.
- Lobster Bisque – with real lobster chunks from Sea Dog Brewery in Bangor.
- Lobster Tacos – Jalapenos in Bar Harbor, the lobster is subtle.
- Lobster Quesadillas – also from Jalapenos. It’s very rich.
- Lobster Pot Pie – at the beautiful Kennebunk Inn in Kennebunkport. And yes, it is delicious.
- Lobster Ice Cream – not the best way to eat lobster.
- Whole Steamed Lobster – classic.
- Lazy Man’s Lobster – Testa’s in Bar Harbor, yummy and buttery.
- Lobster Mac n Cheese – lobster and cheese!!!!!!
- Lobster Omelets – Two Cats also in Bar Harbor.
- Lobster Egg Benedict – umm yeah……. Two Cats
The picture at the top is from Red’s Eats in Wiscasset. This was my favorite in Maine for value, setting, and sheer quantity of lobster. It is iconic Maine to get lobster from a shack near the ocean, then eating at a picnic table under a sunny sky watching the lobster boats. The fact that the huge lobster roll is huge, has so much lobster you can’t see the bread, and is dripping butter is amazing and tasty. If in Maine, make time for Red’s in Wiscasset.